Wednesday 17 May 2023

Choice Tales from the Vale – (004) The Girl in the Red Stockings (Part 04)

 

When I had closed the door and walked down the steps I found Lorraine was waiting for me around the corner.

“Did you know Waldo did a runner last night?” she asked

“Yes” I replied

“So?”

“So what?” I asked

“So now’s the time to get to her before she gets tangled up with some other loser”

“What do you think I was doing when we were interrupted?”

Lorraine stopped and grabbed my arm

“You told her?”

“Yes” I replied and started walking again

“So how did it go?” she shouted

“How do you think it went” I snapped “I’m out here with you”

 

Sam and I travelled to Sharpington in separate cars and as I was in the car Andy was driving we arrived in town ten minutes behind Louise and the girls despite the fact we were right on their bumper when we left Whitecliff Hill Park and the reason for that was because he drives like an 80 year old woman.

We were further delayed due to the fact that he is totally incapable of parallel parking, so by the time we reached the restaurant the girls were already seated at the table and I ended up with Lou and Lottie between me and Sam.

It was a long and frustrating lunch, finding myself so far from the woman I loved, and the service was diabolical.

On that particular day of all days it didn’t help and although I was delighted to see that she was wearing the lemon dress as I suggested, every time I caught her eye she looked away immediately. 

 

After lunch the weather brightened so we all walked down to the seafront, I walked slowly behind the pack with my hands stuffed in my pockets and cursed my stupidity for making my declaration to her.

My worst fears had been realized, I had shared the secret I had kept to myself for 17 years and as I always knew would be the case if I spoke up, instead of winning her love I had now lost her friendship.   

“Why did I do it?” I said to myself and then I felt an arm slip through mine, when I glanced sideways to see who the arm belonged I fully expected it to be Lorraine but I was amazed to see it was Sam.

“I have a confession to make” she said

“Oh yes” I replied

“I think I chose totally unsuitable boyfriends who didn’t deserve me because I couldn’t have you” she said and we came to a stop

“And now?” I asked with bated breath

Samantha had turned to face and said

“I choose you”

And then she kissed me.

 

We walked the length of Sharpington seafront in the warm May sunshine and talked like we had never talked before.

And by the time we returned to the others it was almost evening.

“Come on you two” Lorraine called “We’re going to the pub as soon as we get back, you in?”

“Count us out we’ve got plans” Sam said

“Oh where are you two going then?” Lottie asked and I turned to look at Sam because I didn’t know what plans we had either and Samantha squeezed my hand and smiled at me.

“A treasure hunt” she replied and we both giggled

Everyone looked completely bemused by her answer and my response to it but suffice is to say we were in Samantha’s caravan until midafternoon on Bank Holiday Monday treasure hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment