Wednesday 17 May 2023

Choice Tales from the Vale – (002) What the Plumber Saw ( Part 04)

 

He didn’t get to see the illusive Louise Spry again until two days later on the afternoon of Easter Sunday.

They had taken a break from their labours and were sitting on the patio drinking tea and enjoying some of Nicole’s delicious fruit cake

“Hi Scarlet” Nicole said over Dave’s shoulder so he half turned around to look at her and he nearly choked.

“Hello” Louise replied

“This is…” Mark began

“I know you” she said “you’re David”

“That’s right” He replied “Dave, but I remember you as Louise”

Everyone laughed at Dave’s observation and then Mark explained

“Scarlet is a family name, Dad used to call her “Miss Scarlet” when she was little because she blushed all the time”

Dave smiled but what brought a smile to his lips was the thought of how much she would have blushed if she’d seen him watching her through the airbrick.

 

The next day they still hadn’t finished everything they had planned to do, despite the best efforts of all involved, and it was apparent that they wouldn’t even if they worked at it all day.

So Nicole prepared one of her cooked breakfasts, and they would have a leisurely start to the day and then get on and do a bit more, even Scarlet/Louise did a bit. 

But they had only been working for about two hours when Mark fell off the ladder in the extension and broke his arm.  

Danny and Nicole got him in the car ready to take the wounded soldier to A&E at the Winston Churchill. 

“I don’t want you working up there on your own Dave” Danny said

“Ok” Dave replied “I’ll just reconnect the water, and tidy up a bit”

“Thanks lad” he replied

“Text us” Dave suggested

“Will do” Danny said and drove off

Dave did as he had promised and Louise cleared the breakfast things and got the kitchen straight.

And despite not planning on doing a lot, another two hours had passed before he was stepping into the shower.

After he’d showered and dressed he packed his bag and went downstairs to the kitchen and made himself a coffee.

It was while he was sat at the kitchen table that Louise walked in.

“Hello Dave” she said

“Hi …” he began “Do I call you Louise or Scarlet?”

“Louise is fine” she replied as she made herself a cup of tea

“I’m flattered you remember me by the way” he said

“Oh I remember you very well” she said and he was rather pleased that he had made such an impression on her and then as she sat opposite him she continued

“You used to go through my hand bag when I stayed over at your house, looking at my knickers?”

“No I didn’t” he responded indignantly

“Oh yes you did” she contradicted

“So come on let’s hear you admit it”

“Ok” he said resignedly “Yes I did”

“I know you did” she said very definitely

“But how did you know?”

“Because I saw you do it once”

“Oh”

“Yes I looked down over the bannisters and your hands were in my bag, but I didn’t see exactly what you were doing” she said “I thought perhaps you were looking for my fags”

“I see”

“But when I thought about it I soon realised what you were really up to” she explained

“So I set a trap for you”

“A trap?”

“Yes I started packing my knickers inside out but when I went to put them on they were always the right way round”

“So why didn’t you say something or stop leaving them for me to find?” he asked

“Because I was rather flattered” she said “and I thought it was quite sweet, endearing really, in a way”

“Really?”

“Yes” she replied “You were just a boy”

Dave sat silently fearing the next question

No comments:

Post a Comment